Tuesday 20 October 2015

Ode to Mums

My parents migrate south for the winter since their retirement and I took their leaving very heard this time. I just got off the phone with my mum and in spite of having shed a few tears earlier this afternoon, I feel better already. We just chatted about random non-fertility related things but it is just good to be in touch.

I have been so pleasantly surprised by how great my mum has been since I've filled her in on our goings on of late. I don't know why but I expected her to question our decisions or play down our heartache somewhat. I put off telling her anything specific for a long time because I envisioned myself getting angry (what's new there!!) and feeling like I had to justify my decisions. I'm actually ashamed of how little credit I gave her - I can't understand what I was thinking!! She was so supportive from the get-go and I am just so grateful.

She is unobtrusive and will send me a text message if she knows I have something coming up on a certain day but will avoid actually calling me and instead, just waiting for me to call her to share. Which of course I always do - it's been such a huge weight off my shoulders to feel like I have someone else in my corner (apart from M, of course). She is happy to sit and listen and offer and endless supply of love and hugs. My dad is great too of course - in the silent way that dads are great...I can't imagine discussing the state of my womb with my dad so I wouldn't have it any other way!

Since I'm on the topic of mums, I won't let this opportunity go without a shout-out to my mother-in-law. M is her only married child and she has no grandchildren so I'm sure she is waiting with bated breath for some happy news from us. If I was her, I would be!! However, she has never once so much as hinted that she'd like some grandchildren and could we please hurry the eff up, thank you very much. And for that I am grateful too!

I really hope I get to repay the universe someday by having the opportunity to be the best and most supportive mum I can be. I have a lot to live up to!


No comments:

Post a Comment